How to Build a Healthy Pizza
Ordering in pizza is a simple fix for a busy night, but most pizzas (including the kind you defrost) are high in calories, fat, and preservatives. We don't expect you to give it up, but use this guide to order healthier or make your own healthy pizza at home.
- Choose a crust. Try Trader Joe's wheat pizza dough, lavosh, Flatout pre-made bread, or any flatbread.
- Layer with sauce. Choose from roasted garlic olive oil, pizza or marinara, pesto, or BBQ sauce.
- Add veggies. Layer artichokes, tomatoes, corn, asparagus, onions, bell peppers, zucchini, mushrooms, and more.
- Pick a lean protein. Turkey bacon, shrimp, black beans, turkey or chicken sausage, chicken, ham, prosciutto, or meatballs.
- Sprinkle with cheese. Opt for low-fat mozzarella or Parmesan.
Karla Wright is a performance nutritionist at Core Performance.