Turkey and Spinach Lasagna
- Cook Time
- 1 hour
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat
- Dietary Fiber
- 28 oz tomato puree
- 28 oz diced tomatoes
- 1/2 onion
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 1/4 lbs lean ground turkey
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup basil
- 3/4 cup pine nuts
- 15 oz fat-free ricotta cheese
- 1 lb reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
- 1 oz Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 12 no-boil lasagna noodles
- 1 package spinach leaves (10 oz)
- In a large skillet, saute 10 ounces of spinach leaves over medium-high heat. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Lay spinach on a plate and place in the refrigerator to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine 15 ounces of fat-free ricotta cheese, 10 ounces of shredded mozzarella, 1 ounce of Parmesan cheese, 1 cup of sliced basil, 1 egg white, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, 1/2 teaspoon of pepper, and the spinach (after moisture has been squeezed out). Set aside.
- In a large pasta pot, heat to medium and add 1/2 an onion (diced), 1 teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil, and 1 1/4 pounds of lean ground turkey.
- Cook turkey through.
- Add 6 cloves of garlic (diced), 1 teaspoon of red pepper flakes, and 2 tablespoons of tomato paste.
- Add 28 ounces of tomato puree, 28 ounces of diced tomatoes, 1 cup of low-sodium chicken broth, and 1 bay leaf.
- Bring sauce to a simmer, and then reduce heat to low and stir occasionally.
- When sauce has thickened for about an hour, remove bay leaf and stir in 1 cup of basil. Add salt and pepper if needed.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray a 13 x 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Spread a generous layer of the sauce on the bottom of the pan.
- Place 3 lasagna noodles on top of the sauce, spaced evenly.
- Split the filling into thirds and spread one third on top of the noodles and sauce.
- Repeat layers until ending with 3 more noodles and a layer of sauce.
- Cover pan with foil.
- Put lasagna in the oven for 35-40 minutes, then remove foil from pan.
- Sprinkle with remaining shredded mozzarella.
- Place back in oven and bake until the cheese melts and browns around the edges.
A fast and simple recipe for a hearty but healthy family-size meal.
Warm up with a tasty bowl of meatball soup.
Feta, pesto, and spinach add a fresh Mediterranean taste to this burger.
This recipe is a perfect balance between taste and nutrition.