Spicy Chicken Chili
- Cook Time
- 45 minutes
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat
- Dietary Fiber
- 2 1/2 lb chicken
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 medium jalapenos
- 3 poblano chiles
- 1 can Anaheim chile peppers
- 2 medium onions
- 6 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp coriander
- 2 cans cannellini beans (15-oz each)
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
- 4 scallions
- 1 tsp salt
- Dice and shred 2 1/2 pounds of chicken. Season chicken with salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil in large Dutch oven over medium-high heat until just smoking.
- Add the chicken, and cook for 6-8 minutes (or until skin is brown).
- Turn chicken and lightly brown on the other side for about 2 minutes.
- Transfer chicken to a plate and set aside.
- Remove and discard ribs and seeds from 2 jalapenos. Mince the flesh.
- In food processor, process 1 1/2 poblano chiles, 1 can of Anaheim chile peppers, and 2 medium onions until you get a salsa-like consistency.
- Pour off all but 1 tablespoon of fat from Dutch oven, and reduce heat to minimum.
- Add minced 1 1/2 minced jalapenos, the chile-onion mixture, 6 cloves of garlic (diced), 2 tablespoons of cumin, 1 1/2 teaspoons of coriander, and 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
- Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables soften (about 10 minutes). Remove pot from heat.
- Transfer 1 cup of cooked vegetable mixture to the empty food processor.
- Add 1 cup beans and 1 cup broth. Process until smooth, about 20 seconds.
- Add vegetable-bean mixture, remaining 2 cups broth and chicken to Dutch oven.
- Bring it to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered.
- Stir occasionally until chicken reaches appropriate internal temperature of 160 degrees (30-35 minutes).
Add a surprising touch to your chili with semi-sweet chocolate chips.
Spice up your burrito with a side of chili and lime cucumbers.
Substitute chicken for a healthier lasagna packed with protein.
Blend this Asian-inspired side dish into one of your meals.
Turn this ordinary Crock-Pot favorite into a healthy but hearty meal.